Bruxism is defined as the involuntary clenching or grinding of one’s teeth. This condition affects over 40 million people in the United States alone. Bruxism has many detrimental consequences to a person’s health including damage to the teeth (wear, fractures, breakage, etc.), damage to the jaw joints (TMJ/TMD), gum recession and the loss of bone around the teeth. Since most instances of bruxism occur during one’s sleep, bruxism also adversely affects the quality of sleep. Most people are surprised to learn that only 8% of the people that grind their teeth during their sleep are aware of the condition. Additionally, only 25% of the spouses are aware of their partner’s condition.
At Bushnell Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, our highly trained team is very knowledgeable regarding the signs and symptoms of bruxism. We can often head off big (and very expensive) problems with early diagnosis and treatment for the condition. Are your teeth suffering from the daily grind?
It has been reported that up to 20% of the adults in the United States avoid dental visits due to dental anxiety or fear. This avoidance often results in delayed treatment which can cause a relatively minor condition to grow into a big (and painful) problem. For example, a delay in getting even a filling can result in an extremely painful infection if the treatment is not performed in time. The affected tooth may then require either root canal therapy (and crown) or extraction to rid the body of the infection.
At Bushnell Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, our team works hard to make sure that you will be comfortable receiving the dental treatment that you need even if you are afraid of going to the dentist. We care about you and use kindness and the latest technology to give you the best possible experience. Some of the ways that we work to enhance your experience are listed below:
- Nitrous Oxide is available to help relax you during your appointment.
- Anti-anxiety medications can be prescribed for your appointment.
- Each treatment room is equipped with a television for your enjoyment.
- Each treatment chair is equipped with a built-in back massager for your comfort.
- Intra-oral scanning can be used to eliminate the need for messy impressions.
- Computerized anesthetic delivery system can be used to eliminate anxiety associated with traditional injections.
- Crowns can be manufactured in our office so that the entire procedure can be completed in one appointment. You can leave the office with your permanent crown on the day that treatment is started.
- You will love our beautiful office and our caring team!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.